Women’s Equality Day 2020: The event celebrated in the US has global resonance as issues of equality are still pertinent in all societies and India too needs to do its bit to elevate the stature of women.
- US celebrates Women’s Equality Day to mark the occasion of granting women the right to vote in 1920.
- India too needs to amp up effort to provide equality for women in all walks of life.
Women’s Equality Day is celebrated on 26 August in the United States to commemorate the nineteenth amendment to the Constitution. What is remarkable about this amendment is the fact that women are no longer denied the right to vote. The date is intrinsically linked with the movement for women’s equality and has been declared by the US president since 1972.
Over the years, Equality Women’s Day has come to be recognized globally as an important milestone to recognize the fact that women are treated differently in all areas of life, including homes and workplaces. women’s issues such as safety are concerned, the same wage, sexism, and health often brushed under the carpet. It is not hyperbole to say that equality for women does not exist even in theory even in the 21st century.
India gave women the right to vote because git Independence but that is where the effort to create an equal society for them seemed to wane. Apart from this right, women do not get a lot of noise in Parliament and subsequently, Rajya sabhas and Lok sabhas have some women who represent a large part of society that is often marginalized by the patriarch.
We need to celebrate Women’s Equality Day in India to recognize that there is an endemic problem when it comes to the equality of women in our country. There are countless incidents in which women are still treated unfairly in the name of ‘tradition’, ‘culture’, and ‘decency’ by a patriarchal society and this needs to change quickly.
If we strive to be a civilized society, then the change must come from all walks of life. The effort needs to be put in our homes, offices, public places and the House if we really give women the basic right of a chance in life – Equality.
Women’s Equality Day: Quotes
1. “I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved.” – B. R. Ambedkar
2. “No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.” – Alice Walker
3. “Feminism is not about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It is about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” – GD Anderson
4. “Define success on your own terms, achieve it by your own rules, and build a life you’re proud to live.” – Anne Sweeny
5. “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles any very different from my own.” – Audre Lorde
6. “Human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights.” – Hillary Clinton
7. “It is time that we all see gender as a spectrum instead of two sets of opposing ideals.” – Emma Watson
8. “When girls are educated, their countries become stronger and more prosperous.” – Michelle Obama
9. “Change happens through understanding, and one of my biggest hopes is that our next generation of kids will grow up in a world with more compassion.” – Jazz Jennings
10. “Freedom cannot be achieved unless women have been emancipated from all kinds of oppression.”- Nelson Mandela
11. “I raise up my voice, not so that I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard… We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
12. “There’s something so special about a woman who dominates in a man’s world. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, fearlessness, and the nerve to never take no for an answer.” – Rihanna
13. “If women are expected to do the same work as men, we must teach them the same things.” – Plato, The Republic
14. “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” – Madeleine Albright
15. “I want every girl to know that her voice can change the world.” – Malala Fund
Women’s Equality Day: Wishes and Messages
1. If you limit a woman, then you are not a human. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
2. Rise above the norms of society and educate those who still think that women are inferior to men. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
3. Only a woman can understand another woman. Let the sisterhood blossom, Ladies! Happy Women’s Equality Day!
4. If you can fly up to the sky, I can go even high. Happy Women Equality Day!
5. We can get what we want, we don’t need anybody’s grant. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
6. A beautiful woman draws strength from troubles, smiles during distress, and grows stronger with prayers & hope. You are one of them. Wishing you a very Happy Women’s Equality Day!
7. A woman can be anything she wants as long as she decides to never fear anyone. Happy Women’s Equality Day to all the strong women out there.
8. An equal world is an enabled world. Wishing you a very Happy Women’s Equality Day!
9. We need to live in a culture that values and respects and looks up to and idolizes women as much as men. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
10. There is no limit to what we, as women can accomplish. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
11. The best protection any woman can have is courage. Wishing you a very Happy Women’s Equality Day!
12. All women are like the Full Circle: They have the power to create, Nurture, and Transform! Happy Women’s Equality Day!
13. It is not easy being a woman. You have to keep fighting for your rights. You have to tell the world that you are no less. Warm wishes on Women’s Equality Day!
14. Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. Warm wishes on Women’s Equality Day!
15. I am grateful to be a woman. I must have done something great in another life. Happy Women’s Equality Day!
Women Equality Day: Poem
Equality and Vision
Self-respecting we stand,
Where once we did hunch over
With guilt, second-prize ribbons and a
Countertop lined with ingredients to cook.
We stand tall in the glow of securing the
Right to vote, as we step toward visions of
Our equality with the muscular forces –
Let’s see the vision soon without wearing glasses,
Even within home walls where cameras do not go.
There is still work to do, as we strive for
Equal pay and we are haunted by the
Memories of physical and emotional abuse,
From past years, last months and this morning.
There are bodies that choose to chain us down.
We speak up louder with each day that passes,
Striving to reach a volume that cracks windows of
Disregard. We do not pass on opportunities to
Honor and represent the women who
Have brought us to the path we travel today.
We thank these women, we step into their footprints, and
We stretch the size of their shoes a little more with
Each day that passes.
I hope that we honor them well.
If you wish to advertise on Itsursecretsanta, please Contact Us.